Monday, January 30, 2012

Just One More Day

I stare outside the window
I see nothing but the black of night
The darkness reflecting my grief
I’m tired; I want to give up the fight

I hear the mighty wind howling
Calling names of lost souls like me
I see the beacon of light from afar
I dream of home, one I have yet to see

Gone is the one I cared about
To most cast forever in oblivion
My bones are weary, the toil endless
Just one more day, myself I promised

In the dead of night nostalgia sets in
Remembering the feeling of belonging
When laughter rang through corridors
And voices sweet with yearning

I gaze down at a torn-up photograph
“I’ll always be there” it said on the bottom
The memory so far away it seemed
Though it kept me going time and again

I remember the warmth of his hand
The depth of his love through his eyes
The smile revealing lines of age
Hiding the pain he always carried

There’s no pain alike separation
When your hearts are bound to be one
You hold on to that vestige of hope
That someday you’ll find your way home

On my journey I went near and far
Searching for that end of the rainbow
Realizing in the very end at last
I had what I wanted right from the start

I sang joyous songs of celebration
“My love” I wrote, “I’m coming back”
“He’s been gone a year” wrote his mother
“He died in his sleep with a broken heart”

Now my days are spent remembering
My long journey just about ending
My aching heart brimming with sorrow
But grateful that true love I came to know

The sunrise brings no promise
The sunset brings no peace
The world devoid of meaning
And living is merely existing

Just one more day, myself I promised
Somewhere out there awaits
A world with no pain, no grief
And that familiar smile forgives


Idg
May 17, 2010
2300 RSD #2019

No comments:

Post a Comment